Monday, June 16, 2014

Lemon Protein Bites

A few blog posts ago, I posted a recipe for Peanut Butter Protein Balls which are a quick boost of protein for you if you are on the go. One of the best things about that recipe is it is so versatile. Have a sweet tooth? Add some mini chocolate chips! Want some more protein? Add some chopped nuts and chia seeds! I love taking the protein bites with me to work/the gym. After finishing a work shift, I will pop a few in my mouth before heading into the gym. This helps to keep me fueled for my workout and cross the bridge between breakfast and lunch.

I am also a huge fan of lemons, as in I will eat a raw lemon :), so the last time I made this recipe I bumped up the lemon juice to 2-3T! I also ran out of dates before making this a second time, so I subbed cranberries. You can also try raisins or another dried fruit (I always go with the unsweetened dried fruit)!

Lemon Protein Bites
Ingredients
1c raw cashews
1c raw almonds
9 dates (pitted) or 1/4c dried, unsweetened, cranberries (You can cut back on fruit depending on how sweet you want it; this will cut back on the sugar in the nutrition facts portion).
1T lemon juice

Directions
1. Food process cashews and almonds.
2. Add dates/cranberries and lemon juice.
3. If mixture is dry, add more lemon juice or water.
4. Roll into balls and refrigerate.


Nutrition Facts: Per lemon bite
(yield about 40 balls)
Calories: 54
Fat: 3g (1g MUFA, .5 PUFA)
Carbohydrates: 5.5g
Fiber: 1.2g
Sugar: 3.5g
Protein: 1.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment