Sunday, February 1, 2015

Chocolate Dipped Oranges

Part of my job as a Retail Dietitian is doing healthy food demonstrations. In one of my recent demos, I highlighted oranges; mainly because of cold and flu season (Vitamin C) and they were on sale.  It was so funny doing this demo because I got a ton of people saying either, "This is healthy?" or "I never thought to combine chocolate and oranges."  Most people have the impression that healthy eating is bland or boring. Then when you present these people with healthy recipes that taste good, they are in shock! The way you prepare food and how good it tastes is completely subjective. Get creative in the kitchen and try new recipes and spices to spruce up your meals! While you are at it, try my chocolate dipped oranges for a sweet snack:)

How to Select/Store Oranges
Select an orange that is firm, shiny, and heavy for its size. The fruit should be free of any soft spots or wrinkles. Oranges should be kept in a cool, well-ventilated area. You can store in the fridge for 2 weeks or at room temperature for 4 days.


My Chocolate Dipped Oranges :)
Chocolate Dipped Oranges
Ingredients
2-4 ounces of dark chocolate
1 medium orange, peeled and segmented

Directions
1. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
2. Melt chocolate (microwave or double broiler). Dip orange segments in chocolate and transfer to baking sheet. Set aside until chocolate hardens. Serve at room temperature.

**I found it easier to only dip 1/2 of one side of the orange. This way I didn't lose any chocolate when I removed the oranges for serving. You can also use clementines instead!

For about 1/2 the orange with chocolate, your looking at about 180 calories. Not too shabby for a sweet treat. Not to mention the 75% of your daily value of Vitamin C :)


http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment